Parental Responsibility2019-06-17T15:05:48+00:00

Parental Responsibility

What is parental responsibility?

All mothers and most fathers have legal rights and responsibilities as a parent – known as ‘parental responsibility’.

A father will generally have parental responsibility if he is married to the child’s mother or is listed on the birth certificate after 2003.

If you have parental responsibility, your roles are to:

  • provide a home for the child
  • protect and maintain the child

If you have parental responsibility but you don’t live with your child, you don’t necessarily have the right to contact with them. The other parent however will still need to keep you updated about your child’s well-being and progress.
If you have parental responsibility you are responsible for:

  • disciplining the child
  • choosing and providing for the child’s education
  • agreeing to the child’s medical treatment
  • naming the child and agreeing to any change of name
  • looking after the child’s property

All Parents have to ensure that their child is supported financially, whether they have parental responsibility or not.

Who has parental responsibility?

A mother automatically has parental responsibility from the time the child is born.
A father usually has parental responsibility if he’s:

  • married to the child’s mother
  • listed on the birth certificate after 2003

If you don’t already have parental responsibility then you can apply through the courts.

Births registered in England and Wales

If you are already married when your child is born, or if you’ve jointly adopted a child, both of you will have parental responsibility. If you divorce at a later date then you will both keep your parental responsibility.

Unmarried Fathers

If you are an unmarried father you can only get parental responsibility for your child in one of the following ways:

  • jointly registering the birth of the child with the mother (from 1 December 2003)
  • getting a parental responsibility agreement with the mother
  • getting a parental responsibility order from a court

Births registered in Scotland

In Scotland the law is slightly different to England and Wales, a father will have parental responsibility if he’s married to the mother when the child is conceived, or if he marries her at any point afterwards.

An unmarried father in Scotland will also have parental responsibility if he’s named on the child’s birth certificate after 4th May 2006.

Births registered in Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland, a father has parental responsibility if he’s married to the mother at the time of the child’s birth. If the father marries the mother after the child’s birth, he has parental responsibility if he lives in Northern Ireland at the time of the marriage.

An unmarried father has parental responsibility if he’s named, or becomes named, on the child’s birth certificate after 15th April 2002.

Births registered outside the UK

If your child was born overseas and you have come to live in the UK, your parental responsibility will depend upon which UK country you are now living in.

Same-sex parents and Civil partners

Same-sex partners who were civil partners at the time of the treatment will both have parental responsibility.

Non-civil partners

For same-sex partners who aren’t civil partners, the 2nd parent can get parental responsibility by either:

  • applying for parental responsibility if a parental agreement was made
  • becoming a civil partner of the other parent and making a parental responsibility agreement or jointly registering the birth

Applying for parental responsibility

Providing you are not the mother of the child concerned you can apply to court to get parental responsibility. You will need to be connected to the child in some way for example the father, a step parent or 2nd female parent etc.
It is also worth noting that more than two people can have parental responsibility for the same child.

If you have any questions regarding parental responsibility or if you would like one of our family solicitors to assist you with an application, please fill in the form on this page.

Contact Us Today

Latest News, Stories and Information

  • Make sure the kids are alright this Christmas

    RELATIONSHIP breakdowns or splits can be stressful at any time – but add children and Christmas into the mix, and the pressure on both parties will escalate. Whether you are on the brink of formally separating from a spouse or partner, or it is your first year apart, family lawyers from Buckles Solicitors LLP have some sensitive seasonal advice on coping [...]

  • Common law marriage splits explained

    Common law marriage splits explained What’s yours is mine - or is it? IT’S not every couple that can look forward to a Happy New Year – with January a popular month for moving on and moving out. A common time of year for divorces or calling it a day when it comes to broken relationships, family lawyers at [...]

  • Unmarried couples need to protect themselves – urge family solicitors

    FAMILY lawyers at Buckles Solicitors are urging unmarried, cohabiting couples to formalise their arrangements – in light of a recent landmark Supreme Court victory. The Court ruled a woman from Northern Ireland was entitled to claim for a survivor’s pension after her long-term, live-in partner died suddenly - shortly after they had become engaged. He had paid into Northern [...]