Non Molestation Orders2019-06-17T15:08:09+00:00

Non-Molestation Orders

Non-molestation orders are civil court orders which aim to protect the victims of domestic violence from being abused, to stop the abuser from being violent towards the victims, either physically or by threatening and intimidating. It is a type of injunction made under The Family Law Act 1996 to protect named individuals from abuse.

The term “molestation” is not specifically defined but may include violence, threats and harassment.

A non molestation order carries the power of arrest and the penalty for breaking the order can carry a sentence of up to five years in prison.

Who can apply for a non-molestation order

A non-molestation order can only be used against someone that you are associated with in one of the following ways:

  • By marriage, civil partnership or engaged to be married or were married or were going to enter into a civil partnership.
  • You are or were living with as husband and wife including same sex relationships
  •  A family member or relation.
  •  Someone you have a child with or someone who has had parental responsibility for your child.
  • Someone you have had an intimate relationship with for a significant period of time.

It is important for you to get the right advice and help if you feel you or your children are at risk. Contact one of our family solicitors for advice.

Non-molestation orders are normally for a specified period of time. They can be renewed or they may be made ‘until further order’. There is no limit on the length of time that non-molestation orders can be extended.

If you or your children are in danger and you need an emergency non-molestation order, you can apply for it ‘without notice’. This is helpful if you need immediate protection. It is important to speak with an experienced Family Solicitors.

Contact Us Today

Enforcing the Non Molestation Orders

The order must be served on the abuser once the court has granted the order and the abuser is not at court. The order must be delivered to the abuser for it to be enforced and a copy needs to be given to the local police so they are aware that it exists.

It is a criminal offence to ignore or break a non-molestation order. This makes the order more powerful as tough sentences can be imposed. However you have a choice whether the incident is brought back to the family court, or whether you would prefer to go down the criminal court route. Family court does have power to impose short custodial sentences, and has the benefit of being a closed court. Once an order is in place then you can ring the police if there is any breach and the perpetrator will be arrested for breaking their order.

There are a number of factors which the court will look at before making a decision about whether or not to issue an injunction. You can ask a solicitor and/or adviser about the likelihood of a successful application.

Be aware that many injunctions operate for a specified time period (often 3 to 6 months) and that you may need to make further applications if/when they run out.

Although injunctions are effective in protecting you, an injunction cannot guarantee your safety: you, and your children, may still face violence from your ex-partner if they decide to violate the injunction. If they do this however, they will be breaking the law and can be arrested.

Non-molestation orders also forbid abusers from instructing anyone else to harass or intimidate or use violence against the applicant. The order can also forbid the abuser from damaging or disposing of the applicant’s possessions.

You may therefore wish to consider applying for one even if you have left home and your (ex) partner doesn’t know where you are if you are worried they may damage your possessions.

You don’t have to have actually experienced violence in order to apply for a non-molestation order. You may apply if you are being intimidated or harassed by your ex. Often the courts will want some sort of evidence that you are being harassed or intimidated so a non molestation order without violence is harder to get.

Sometimes a person may apply for a non-molestation order against current as well as former partners. If you are still in a relationship with your abuser you need to decide whether or not this is likely to help the situation and improve their behaviour towards you. You know them best and if you think that this is likely to inflame the abusive behaviour, then this may not be the best option for you.

It is advisable to discuss your options with an experienced Family Solicitor by enquiring using the enquiry form on this page.

Latest News, Stories and Information

  • Make sure the kids are alright this Christmas

    RELATIONSHIP breakdowns or splits can be stressful at any time – but add children and Christmas into the mix, and the pressure on both parties will escalate. Whether you are on the brink of formally separating from a spouse or partner, or it is your first year apart, family lawyers from Buckles Solicitors LLP have some sensitive seasonal advice on coping [...]

  • Common law marriage splits explained

    Common law marriage splits explained What’s yours is mine - or is it? IT’S not every couple that can look forward to a Happy New Year – with January a popular month for moving on and moving out. A common time of year for divorces or calling it a day when it comes to broken relationships, family lawyers at [...]

  • Unmarried couples need to protect themselves – urge family solicitors

    FAMILY lawyers at Buckles Solicitors are urging unmarried, cohabiting couples to formalise their arrangements – in light of a recent landmark Supreme Court victory. The Court ruled a woman from Northern Ireland was entitled to claim for a survivor’s pension after her long-term, live-in partner died suddenly - shortly after they had become engaged. He had paid into Northern [...]