Consent Orders

What is a Consent Order?

If your marriage or civil partnership has come to an end then one of the things you will want to consider is how you are going to divide your assets. These assets can include:
  • Money
  • Property
  • Savings
  • Investments
  • Personal Possesions
If you have children then you may also want to consider how you will sort out child maintenance payments.

If you are lucky enough to be able to agree on how you'd like to divide your financial assets then you will need to apply for a consent order.

A Consent Order outlines what you have agreed and how you intend to divide your assets. Your Consent Order will need to be drafted by a solicitor in order to make it legally binding. Both you and your ex-partner will need to sign the document.

In addition to the draft Consent Order you and your ex-partner will also have to sign a 'notice of an application for a financial order' and a 'statement of information form'.

If you are dealing with this yourself then you will then need to send these signed documents, along with the drafted consent order, to the court. Remember to keep copies for yourselves.

A Consent Order costs £50.00. If you are on a low income or on benefits you may be entitled to help with this cost.

If a judge feels that your agreement is fair and reasonable he or she will approve it and therefore make it legally binding.

If you would like a solicitor to draft a consent order for you, please feel free to call us on 0333 2070 601 and we will arrange an appointment for you.


Contact Us Today